There’s still some buzz surrounding the chance McCain will pick California resident Meg Whitman as his Vice Presidential pick. I don’t buy it, but here’s a few off hand reasons why or not she’d make for a decent pick:
Why he might:
- Her business background is stellar as she grew eBay into the monolith it is today with the help of millions of small businesses or individuals who profited along with them. Counter balances McCain’s poor economic acumen.
- Still bitter Hillary supporters may jump on board because Whitman is a woman.
- Whitman has never held a public office – talk about a change agent!
- She’s a Californian. We rock.
Why he probably won’t:
- Whitman has never held a public office – talk about risk! McCain’s age is a small enough factor in this election that voters will probably at least someone who knows the ins and outs of Capitol Hill to take the reigns.
- Expanding on the above, if someone with little political experience is chose, the McCain camp will have a hard time repeating their mantra that Obama has no experience… which, frankly, is their most resonant talking point.
- Very little chance of benefitting from a boost in Californian electoral votes.
- Mere choice of a woman may backfire and look like its pandering to the Hillary crowd.
- She’ll be slaughtered by Lieberman in debates.
I have no idea who McCain will pick, but would also cross Mitt Romney off the list, along with Joe Lieberman. McCain will play it safe, choosing someone with experience and a Republican track record, and little about their religion or background to question.